“Quilting 101″ Quilt-Along: Sewing your Quilt-Top
January 25, 2011
For those of you who are following this “Quilting 101” quilt-along in 2011, we are now on step #2 of our quilt-along where we will be sewing our quilt-top. To start, please gather your cut strips and use the diagram posted in “Quilting 101” quilt-along: Step #1.
I’ve put together a video that will step you though the next stage of this quilt-along. This is my first video though, and so it seems a bit rough to me –maybe I’m just embarrassed to see myself on tape for the first time. Please watch the entire video once, before you begin sewing.
Here are the basic steps:
1. Layout the quilt-top pieces in order, according to the diagram.
2. Pining right sides together, pin strip 1 to 2, strip 3 to 4, strip 5 to 6, etc.
3. Sew, using a 1/4″ seam allowance, and press seam allowances open.
4. Layout your new pieces, in order, according to the diagram.
5. Pining right side together, pin strip set 1-2 to 3-4, strip set 5-6 to 7-8, etc.
6. Sew, using a 1/4″ seam allowance, and press seam allowances open.
7. Repeat until the entire quilt top is assembled (this will not include the border.)
Here is that video, that steps you though these same steps, in more detail: