Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, Avocado and Lime Cumin Vinaigrette Dressing
February 21, 2011
I have been loving quinoa salad lately. Topped with cherry tomatoes and fresh avocado, it’s a taste of summer –which I really need right now as winter lags on. Here’s the recipe:
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, Avocado and Lime Cumin Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 4 cups of water or chicken stock
- olive oil or canola oil
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn
- 2 avocados
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Jalepeno cut into tiny pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook 2 cups of quinoa in 4 cups of water, or chicken stock. (Note: I use Better Than Bouillon.) Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prep the other ingredients: rinse and drain one can of black beans, and 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn. (Note: We use corn from the freezer that we cut fresh off the cob in the summer months –yummy!)
- Make the dressing: Shake the last nine ingredients in a jar and set aside.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix in the dressing, the corn, and the black beans. This will stays well in fridge for days. Serve topped with cherry tomatoes and fresh avocado.