Since I’m fairly new to quilting, only about 2 1/2 years in, I knew I wanted to design something different from my normal style for Project Modern’s 2nd Challenge, a monochromatic challenge –I wanted to step out of my comfort zone as a means to widen my skills base. I’ve always wanted to try diamonds, and so I made that my theme. I was intrigued by the idea of light areas growing into dark, and dark growing into light. Also, I knew I didn’t want my quilt to have a set pattern, rather I wanted it to be random.
This quilt was quite a challenge, for numerous reasons, and I feel like I learned a lot while making it. For starters, when piecing this quilt, there were no seams to butt up against, like all the other quilts I’ve worked with; instead, all the pieces were matched up blindly. Along with that, 45 degree angles are just more difficult to piece than 90 degree angles. These two factors made it difficult when I was trying to line things up perfectly. I’ve also learned that diamonds are very flexible, they like to stretch out of place sometimes when sewn. Lastly, when I cut the thin borders for the outside of the diamonds, some of the strips were almost 3 yards long. I cut these strips length of fabric so I wouldn’t have unnecessary seams. In the future, I would cut these cross grain I think, so that the strips and the diamonds have the same give. Now that I have some experience, working this crazy design of mine, I want to make this quilt in every color, I’m just so happy with the results.
The quilt ended up being 62″ x 86″ in size. That will most likely shrink down about 5% after the first washing. I used the following Kona Solids, from the purple family, for my monochromatic theme: orchid, mulberry, petunia, violet, magenta, pansy, crocus, and hibiscus. I bound the quilt by hand, and quilted it on my normal home machine. For the quilting, I used an invisible thread for the top, and basically stitched in the ditch making long diagonal double lines, along the entire length of the quilt.