Category: Modern Quilt Guild Challenge

EZ Dresden Challenge: A Quilted Beach Bag

dressden beach bag quilted by The Artists' House Angela FlickerWelcome to day twelve of the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild blog hop for the EZ Dresden Challenge.  Have you been following this?

The Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild has partnered with EZ Quilting, Simplicity and a host of other manufacturers to celebrate Darlene Zimmerman’s 20th Anniversary designing quilting tools for EZ Quilting. To help them celebrate, Salt Lake MQG is hosting a challenge — Use the EZ Dresden Ruler to create a project, then enter it to win amazing prizes, including a new sewing machine and a photo of your project in a 1/3 page Simplicity advertisement in Quilting Arts Magazine.  How exciting is that?!  Leave a comment, and you could win one of these awesome rulers.  I will announce the winner in a week, on the 19th of June. For more information regarding this challenge, follow this EZ Dresden Challenge link.
…………………………….
EZ Dresden Quilting Challenge
.
ez dresden quilt challenge quilted beach bag
For the past few summers, I’ve wanted to make myself a really bright, yet simple beach bag.
.

Colorful umbrellas, beach balls, and sailboats were my inspiration.

I also knew that I wanted the bag to be deep, to hold rolled towels, and the bag had to have a nice zipper pocket to hold smaller-hard-to-find items like chapstick.  I’m really happy with the results. I can’t wait for our first beach/pool outing, as I think this bag will be perfect and fun in the sun.

.Here’s what my project looked like, right before I turned it into a bag.  I was intentional about picking a bold fabric for the background, as I wanted the sun to play on the dresden pieces, making the background shine through.
.
ez dresden quilt challenge quilted beach bag
The collage of images below, show some of my work.  Really, it was quite simple.  I basically laid the pieces out, put right sides together, sewed, ironed the seam allowances open, and repeated until I had one long, snake-like piece. I’m not a fan of raw edges, so to finish the piece off I sewed around it with a 1/4″ stitch, and then used this stitch as a guide to help me iron a 1/4″ under around all the sides.  I then used washable basting glue and lightly glued the dresden piece down before using a zigzag stitch (clear thread) to sew around the entire exterior.  Lastly, I basted and quilted the piece.
.
ez dresden quilt challenge quilted beach bag
Here is the finished product.  I really like how the chevron print shines through.
.
ez dresden quilt challenge quilted beach bag
ez dresden quilt challenge quilted beach bag zipper inside bag
ez dresden quilt challenge quilted beach bag

Remember, leave a comment, and you could win one of these awesome rulers.  I will announce the winner in a week, on the 19th of June.

For more inspiration and ideas for the EZ Dresden Challenge, follow along with the blog hop:

EZDresden_Logos

…………………………………………………………

Our lucky winner is #9, Jenny C

2012/06/12 at 12:03 pm

Love your bag! Have fun in the sun!

Thanks for your comment Jenny.  I hope you love the ruler!  I can’t wait to see what you create with it!

…………………………………………………………

My Monochromatic Quilt for the Mondern Quilt Guild Challenge

Project Modern 2: Monochromatic ChallengeSince I’m fairly new to quilting, only about 2 1/2 years in, I knew I wanted to design something different from my normal style for Project Modern’s 2nd Challenge, a monochromatic challenge –I wanted to step out of my comfort zone as a means to widen my skills base.  I’ve always wanted to try diamonds, and so I made that my theme. I was intrigued by the idea of light areas growing into dark, and dark growing into light.  Also, I knew I didn’t want my quilt to have a set pattern, rather I wanted it to be random.

Project Modern 2: Monochromatic ChallengeThis quilt was quite a challenge, for numerous reasons, and I feel like I learned a lot while making it.  For starters, when piecing this quilt, there were no seams to butt up against, like all the other quilts I’ve worked with; instead, all the pieces were matched up blindly.  Along with that, 45 degree angles are just more difficult to piece than 90 degree angles.  These two factors made it difficult when I was trying to line things up perfectly.  I’ve also learned that diamonds are very flexible, they like to stretch out of place sometimes when sewn.  Lastly, when I cut the thin borders for the outside of the diamonds, some of the strips were almost 3 yards long.  I cut these strips length of fabric so I wouldn’t have unnecessary seams.  In the future, I would cut these cross grain I think, so that the strips and the diamonds have the same give.  Now that I have some experience, working this crazy design of mine, I want to make this quilt in every color, I’m just so happy with the results.

Project Modern 2: Monochromatic Challenge

The quilt ended up being 62″ x 86″ in size.  That will most likely shrink down about 5% after the first washing.  I used the following Kona Solids, from the purple family, for my monochromatic theme: orchid, mulberry, petunia, violet, magenta, pansy, crocus, and hibiscus.  I bound the quilt by hand, and quilted it on my normal home machine.  For the quilting, I used an invisible thread for the top, and basically stitched in the ditch making long diagonal double lines, along the entire length of the quilt.

Project Modern 2: Monochromatic ChallengeFor the most part, I’m very pleased with how it turned out.  And now that it’s done, I’ll have to thank my little helper for all her support 😉

Loading...
X